I also have a tumblr account I mostly keep to myself. They’re just a bunch of pretty pictures, but if you pay attention, they’re very reflective of my moods. Look at November. Guess what I was thinking then?
For those of you who are always asking me for reading suggestions, here’s a few of my favorite books about the Latin-American experience:
Dreaming in Cuban/ Soñando En Cubano Cristina Garcia
In the Time of the Butterflies/ En El Tiempo De La Mariposas Julia Alvarez
The House on Mango Street/ La Casa En Mango Street Sandra Cisneros
The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao/ La Breve y Maravillosa Vida de Óscar Wao Junot Diaz
Drown/ Negocios Junot Diaz
Bodega Dreams/ El Vendedor de Sueños Ernesto Quiñones
The Dark Bride/ La Novia Oscura Laura Restrepo
Woman Hollering Creek/ El Arroyo De La Llorona Sandra Cisneros
One Hundred Years of Solitude/ Cien Años De Soledad Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Before We Were Free/ Antes De Ser Libre Julia Alvarez
E. Luminata/ Lumperica Diamela Eltit
In A State of Memory/ En Estado De Memoria Tununa Mercado
And some that do not come in Spanish but are really great books:
Krik? Krak! Edwidge Danticat
Crossing Manuel Luis Martinez
Mothers and Shadows Marta Traba
Yocandra in the Paradise of Nada Zoe Valdez
America’s Dream Esmeralda Santiago
|Why can’t it just say, “Stay single”. It’s shorter.|
1. Don’t forget to pay your phone bill this month.
2. Everyone was dead and in purgatory in LOST.
3. He’s gonna leave that bitch, don’t worry.
4. Swiss bank account #B4-397-KT18.
5. Skins is the best show you’ve never watched.
6. You use the word “casualty” wrong.
7. Call your mother.
8. You’re going to need that spare tire soon.
9. Sell your soul to the devil and have Michael Bay’s career.
10. That earring you lost is under the fridge.
11. Your cat hates that organic shit you keep feeding her.
12. You’re getting food poisoning from this meal, sorry.
13. Should you really be eating cookies right now?
14. Your neighbors can hear you having sex.
15. When naming your kids remember that they might want to have jobs as adults.
16. Don’t worry about a 401k. You’re not going to need it.
17. Oswald had a partner on the inside.
18. We miss Buffy too.
19. Enter “2kchina” as a code to unlock the 2K Sports China team.
20. No one likes a smart-ass.
Taking care of curly hair can be tricky. Though curly hair is the most versatile type of hair, it ranges from mermaid waves to the classic ‘fro, and learning how to take care of it can be a process of trial and error. However, there are certain rules all curly-haired girls should abide by.
(Originally published on Suite101)
What to notice when drinking gets out of hand and out of control.
What to do if you’re drinking too much:
If you still can’t seem to wean yourself from the bottle, then consider professional help. There is nothing shameful in admitting that you need help. And if anyone mocks your new, clean lifestyle, lose their phone numbers.
Reading the Twilight Series
Why the young adult books called the Twilight series, by Stephenie Meyer are a must read. These books include the titles Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse.
- Are you afraid to say what you think for fear of retribution?
- Have you slowly stopped doing the things you like to do because you know he doesn’t like them?
- If you miss a phone call/text message/email, do you hurry to respond for fear of a fight?
- Does he ignore or reject you as “punishment” for your behavior?
- Do you find yourself agreeing to the things he says just to end/avoid an argument?
- Do you find yourself having to report where you are at all times?
- Even when you deserve it, does he refuse to apologize or admit you’re right?
- Or, even when it clearly isn’t, does he insist that something is your fault?